File this recipe under my all time favourite snack! Ever since I was a kid, my mum would peel and dice apples for me to eat as a snack because I never liked the skin. She couldn't understand how I claimed that I couldn't swallow the skin on the apple. I don't know what to say. I would chew and chew, but it just wouldn't go down. Like lettuce. But I digress.
Over the past year I became obsessed with cheese and crackers. Diced apples or cream crackers and cheddar cheese always satisfies me when I need to snack on something. So why not combine them?
Do you remember eating Lunchables as a kid? I never liked them. I liked the idea behind it but it always tasted fake (not to mention my parents complained about the price). If you have kids who love Lunchables, why not save money by making it yourself? It's so easy and so much healthier because you'll know exactly what's in it. This snack covers all of the critical food groups with fibre, protein and good carbs. The best part? It's fully customisable. Add nuts or grapes or whatever else you like for added health benefits.
Apple Cheese Wraps (serves 4 )
Prep Time: 2 mins
- 1 apple
- 1 slice lemon
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 2 slices pre-sliced deli turkey or ham, cut in half
1. Slice the apple into 1/2 inch thick slices. Rub the apple with the lemon wedge to prevent from going brown.
2. Slice the cheddar cheese into 1/2 inch wide slices and the ham in 1/2 or in 1/4 (the ham needs to be large enough to wrap around the apple).
3. Place an apple slice and a cheese slice on top of the deli meat and fold over deli meat to wrap.
4. Serves with crackers and a dip of your choice for a satisfying on the go snack.