I'm a little ashamed to admit that I was supposed to make this pie for Thanksgiving but never got around to it. Better late than never right? Okay, cool. 'Cause the last time I made an apple pie was college. I still remember it. It was Thanksgiving and we were going to a friend's house. She was more like a frenemy at the time because I was still warming up to her so I wanted to make a really good impression. And the best way I knew to show up someone, was with my baking. I don't know why I view everything as a competition. At some point I should probably talk to my therapist about that.
But I digress.
Back to this apple pie. It couldn't be a basic apple pie. OH NOOOOOOO! I made the entire pie from scratch including the bottom crust and top LATTICE crossing. I REALLLLLLY wanted to make a good impression. But if you asked me how I did it, I really couldn't tell you. I honestly have no idea how or what went into that pie, I just remember everyone being satisfied (although deep down I knew it could've been better). Fast forward, 7 years later (God, I'm old) I sought to try my hand at it again, but this time I was leaving the lattice crossing in the past because "ain't nobody got time for that"! I borrowed the recipe from Lauren Conrad but of course made some substitutions. For example, when making the crust, I didn't have any butter so I used cream cheese because it makes an excellent substitute for butter. The cream cheese didn't take away from the flavour of the apple pie at all! If anything it added a layer of creamy goo that just made this pie to die for!
I served it after Sunday dinner a few weeks ago and my friends went CRAZY for it! (I have got to stop typing words in all caps for emphasis). I made the entire pie from scratch and it was so easy. I couldn't stop blushing as my friends praised the pie. When your friend's eyes roll to back of his head after a warm bite, you know you've reached that level of baking connoisseur! We served it a la mode and had a great time! I can't wait to make this again (my dad insists).
Mini Apple Pear Skillet Pie
Ingredients for Mini Apple Pear Pie:
- 2 granny smith apples
- 2 pears
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- pinch salt
For the crumble:
- 1 c flour
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c melted butter
For the mini apple pear pies:
- Peel, core, and dice your apples and pears.
- Place in a bowl and add the sugars and spices. Mix together until every piece of fruit is covered in sugar.
- Set this aside for a couple minutes to let the juices start to form. You will notice a little sugar pool at bottom of your bowl.
- In the meantime, make your crumble.
- Melt the butter and add in the rest of the ingredients. Mix with a spoon or your hands until little crumbles form.
- Add the fruit to your pies, letting the fruit overflow from the top. You want it to be completely filled.
- Generously top with the crumble.
- Gently fold up the pie dough, that hanging off the edge, onto the crumble. This will be rustic looking.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until you can see the juices bubbling under the crumble.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes.