Who would have ever thought you could have mashed potatoes for breakfast? I haven't had mashed potatoes since high school. I ate them a lot after getting my braces tightened so I've grown to despise mashed potatoes. I'm not kidding. I HATE mashed potatoes! But after seeing this recipe on PureWow, I felt totally inspired to try it. I'm always looking for something new to try for breakfast so I figured this would be just the right recipe.
It was super quick and easy (one of those set it and forget it kind of recipes) and it was actually delicious! It's a filling breakfast, loaded with nutrition! You have got to try it!
Baked Eggs and Potatoes
- 4 servings
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 6 strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or use lightly greased individual baking dishes).
2. In a medium bowl, add the bacon to the potatoes and mix to combine.
3. Scoop 4 even portions of mashed potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush each potato mound with melted butter.
4. Use a spoon to create a well in the center of each potato mound, then crack an egg into each one. Top each egg with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bake until the potatoes are golden brown and the eggs are set but still slightly jiggly in the center, 12 to 15 minutes.
6. Serve immediately while warm.
- 539 calories
- 36g fat
- 37g carbs
- 18g protein
- 2g sugars