It's MONDAY! We're back to work with a whole new week of challenges and expectations. I've decided to dub this week Recipe Week on the blog, because I got busy this past weekend, trying out new recipes to give to you for you to make for your family. And oh my goodness, do I have a fabulous new breakfast item for you!
This was one of those moments when I genuinely overlooked which ingredients I actually had in my fridge. I thought this would have been the easiest of all of the recipes I attempted but underwent many changes. For starters, I didn't have potatoes to make the hash brown crust, nor did I have bacon, so I had to forgo those features and make a vegetarian egg muffin. Despite the changes, this was still a crowd pleaser! I'll still give you guys the original recipe I planned on using. Get the recipe below:
Breakfast Egg Muffins
- 20-oz. bag refrigerated Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups Fiesta blend cheese, divided use
- 12-oz. pkg. Rath bacon, cooked and crumbled into bite-sized pieces
- 9 extra large eggs, divided use
- ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup orange bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup 2% milk or cream
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray 24 muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine one egg with hash browns, olive oil, 1 cup cheese and half each of the salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture evenly between 24 muffin tins and press down.
- Sprinkle each with parsley.
- Bake at 400° about 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are crispy.
- Meanwhile, whisk remaining 8 eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining 1 cup cheese, remaining salt and pepper, cooked bacon, red and orange bell peppers and milk.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour egg-bacon mixture evenly over each potato muffin crust.
- Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper and parsley if desired.
- Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Allow muffins to cool in muffin tins about 5 minutes before removing.
- Serve hot or lukewarm.
These savoury muffins make such a great breakfast. I challenge you to make up a batch immediately. Your friends and family will love them. What's your favourite breakfast treat? Tell me in the comment section below! And check out some other breakfast items below!