Let me just say that this dish is to DIE FOR! It is so good! The sweet balsamic dressing is beautifully contrasted by the salty and crispy bacon. I made this dish last week for dinner in about 30 minutes, which was perfect because we all know how uncomfortable it can get in the kitchen during the summer heats.
Especially with it being summer, I would have loved to include avocados in this flatbread, but I am unfortunately horribly allergic to avocados. Like, will end up in the emergency room on an IV drip, allergic. And with everyone else in my house suffering an adverse reaction to the avocado, using it would just be a bad idea. I've included the original recipe below, unedited, but I swapped the dressed for a balsamic vinaigrette and stuck to a meaty high protein dish that's so filling this could be your main dish! If you're looking for a quick and easy dinner that could impress your friends for a small get together or your kids if you're in a pinch, this is the recipe to try!
CALIFORNIA INSPIRED CHICKEN FLATBRED
Recipe type: Main Dish / Appetizer
- 1 large flatbread or naan, or 2 small pita bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or any other favourite cheese such as monterey jack or pepperjack for a spicier version)
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, pounded to ½ inch thickness + salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced or diced
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon packed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- ¼ cup ranch dressing
- 1 teaspoon chipotle seasoning (see note)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook in a pan or skillet on the stove over medium-high heat for about 3-4 minutes each side or until cooked through. Dice chicken and set aside.
- Brush flatbread with olive oil. Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Top with chicken, red peppers, and bacon [I added corn, because corn is nice]. Place on a lightly greased sheet of foil and bake on the oven rack for 10-15 minutes until cheese is completely melted.
- While flatbread is baking, whisk together ranch dressing and chipotle seasoning. When flatbread is finished baked, top with avocado, cilantro, and crushed red pepper flakes. Drizzle with chipotle ranch dressing and serve immediately.