When I first found this recipe, I was super excited. I knew that I would make some adjustments based on what I had in my pantry and my tastes. Like I used chickpeas instead of refried beans, chopped chives instead of coriander and cilantro and I eliminated all pepper. I made this to share with my best friend Telia because I knew she would be so busy with the new baby that she would neglect to eat.
Cheesy Wonton Quesadillas
- 1/4 cup canned Old El Paso™ refried beans or chickpeas
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (4 oz)
- 12 round (gyoza) wonton wrappers (from 12-oz package) (I only had the square ones)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. In small bowl, mix beans, cumin, coriander and red pepper. Stir in cheese. Divide mixture evenly among wonton wrappers (about 1 tablespoon per wrapper); spread mixture evenly over half of each wrapper. Fold wrapper in half over filling; do not seal.
2. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add wonton quesadillas to pan; cook uncovered 1 to 2 minutes or until browned in spots. Turn and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts and filling is hot.
3. Transfer to serving platter; top with cilantro. Serve