Are you back on track with your healthy eating now that Valentine's Day is over? I know, you may still have some leftover candy for that great basket you got or maybe you just haven't made the time to return to the gym yet. Don't worry, we've got the perfect recipe to get you back on track!
Raise your hand if you've ever been let down by a veggie burger. I know, it's like a minefield when you're trying to find healthy food that actually tastes good! And the worst part is how much sodium is in those frozen patties. When you make your own burgers you know exactly what's in it because you're completely in control!
I added mixed vegetables to these because it's what I had on hand at the time. But when I make them again, I'll get a little more creative and stuff them with onions, tomatoes and maybe even some feta cheese.
The best part of these burgers is the texture! They will not get soggy or fall apart on you. They're thick, hearty and would even make great sliders! Feel free to use a cast iron skillet, open grill or George Foreman grill to make these burgers.
These chickpea burgers are a game changer! Do yourself a favour and try them, they will not disappoint!
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup flour of your choice
- 1/4 cup water
- Seasonings (I used garlic and pepper, basil, cajun and a pinch of salt)
- Any other vegetables you want to add to the mix
- Mash the chickpeas with a fork until they're broken up well, but still have some texture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and combine thoroughly, then roll into the shape of a pattie.
- Grill pattie in your skillet, or grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side and burgers are beginning to crisp on the outside.
- Serve on a whole wheat bun, tortilla or even wrapped inside of lettuce for a healthier meal, with the fixings of your choice (cheese, ketchup, honey mustard, etc.) and enjoy!