Gather your friends for a fun afternoon of crafting while making these colourful and unique hand-dotted tumblers. Along with being easy to create, the finished tumblers cost under $2 each to make. Pick up tumblers from your local resale shop or dollar store for a serious deal. Use enamel acrylic paints from your local craft store for longstanding colour, and you're on your way to festive gifts for everyone.
What You'll Need:
· Any colour enamel acrylic paint you want
· Glass tumblers
· Paper towel
· Cotton swabs
· Sheet pan
· Parchment paper
1. Gather the materials for creating the dotted tumblers. Use an enamel or all-surface acrylic for long-standing results. You can purchase small containers at your local craft store for around $1 a bottle.
2. You can dip your cotton swab directly into the bottle like I did or use a paper towel. Squeeze out a small dollop of each colour of paint and then mix together to create additional colours for your tumblers. You can create different tints of colours by adding white. Or experiment with mixing the primary colours to create greens, oranges, and purples. Place a length of parchment paper on a sheet pan, and then place the glasses upside-down on the pan.
3. Press the end of a cotton swab in one colour of paint, and dot around the base of the glass. Continue dotting with other colours to create a first layer of dots, and then let dry while working on the rest of the glasses.
4. Press the end of a cotton swab in one color of paint, and dot around the base of the glass. Continue dotting with other colors to create a first layer of dots, and then let dry while working on the rest of the glasses.
5. Let the finished dotted tumblers dry for an hour, and then flip them over on the sheet pan. Place in a cold oven and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes to set the paint. Turn off the heat and allow the glasses to cool in the oven for an hour before handling. Or you can use plastic cups that look like the real thing. No oven-time required.
6. Give a set to someone special, or gift individually as party favours after a holiday gathering. Although the hand-dotted tumblers are ready for wear and tear, they will last longer when gently hand-washed and allowed to air dry.