How is your clean eating going so far? Don't tell me you're off the wagon already! Maybe you're not sure where to begin.Don't worry, I'll give you guys a free pass because Valentine's Day just went and I'm sure you did a lot on indulging with your loved one or by yourself if you're single.
I've always been fond of salmon. It's an excellent source of B12, vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, protein, biotin, potassium and so much more! Unfortunately, salmon is not cheap depending on where you live, so this tends to be a special treat only kind of dish.
Even after buying the salmon, you may be unsure of what to do with it. After walking around in Whole Foods for an hour (mostly killing time while looking for ingredients not sold here in The Bahamas), I was tempted to buy some salmon burgers. There were so many varieties, I had no idea you could do that much with it! Just as I reached to pick up one I remember two important things: we had salmon at home in the freezer and I was leaving in two days so the burgers would go to waste. We didn't do much grocery shopping so I didn't have any fancy ingredients on hand. That's what makes these burgers so awesome! As long as you have salmon on hand, you can stuff them with anything else you already have in your fridge or pantry. This was my attempt at using the last of the groceries before leaving so that they don't go to waste (my boyfriend really doesn't cook).
If you don't have a grill, don't worry, you can totally make this in a frying pan. I was lucky enough to have a George Foreman grill on hand so that made cooking it a lot easier (after scrubbing off the debris from my boyfriend's meat burger). There isn't much to these...just a bit of egg, breadcrumbs, and seasonings of your choice. I added ricotta because I love cheese stuffed anything. ANYTHING! Add pepper to kick it up a notch if that's your speed and VOILA! An easy dinner you don't have to feel guilty about!
FRESH AND EASY SALMON BURGERS
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- ½ cup Panko style crumbs (Almond meal can be substituted for you GF folks)
- 1 egg - slightly beaten
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon ricotta cheese
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ⅓ teaspoon pepper
- Remove skin from salmon fillet and mince salmon. If you're using frozen salmon fillets you don't have any skin to remove. Just defrost and mince the salmon with your fingers or a knife.
- Add minced salmon and remaining ingredients to bowl and combine.
- Careful not to over handle.
- Form into 3 large or 4 small patties about ½ inch thick
- Heat grill pan or BBQ to medium to medium high.
- Cook 4 minutes on each side or until completely cooked through and center feels slightly firm.
- These cook fast - careful not to over cook or will become dry.