Our beautiful Bahamaland was impacted by the monstrous Hurricane Matthew this week. Amidst the hustle & bustle of restoration for this natural disaster in the aftermath, there were a few bright spots along the way. Here are my top 5 moments of the week!
1. Taken to Cloud Nine –This for both the chocoholic and non-chocoholic alike, as the smooth milk chocolate wafers are accented with hints of hazelnut flavor. A colleague had shared how wonderful this product tasted and this week I spotted out the corner of my eye. Being a fan of nutty products, Hazelnut was the flavor of choice. At first bite, the multilayered wafers and hazelnut crème was a mix of soft and crispy. i.e. It was gone in minutes :-D If you haven’t tried the Cloud 9 chocolate wafer bars, you’ve definitely gotta try this chocolate treat.
2. Yummy Fresh Fruits – This week I enjoyed the rewards of good/meticulous grocery shopping. Solomon’s had a great special on red Plums, Peaches and Nectarines. These are 3 fruits that can be firm but juicy, of which you look for no blemishes, marks or rotting. I scanned feverishly for the perfect pairs and was truly rewarded. Each one was firm and sweet with the right amount of juice. It truly was a plus to my day.
3. Seeing ‘Invite Intrigue’ in person – Mac’s lipsticks are top competition and I know many ladies who will stop at nothing to look FAB-BOO-LUS. A colleague walked in wearing this pink-fuchsia shade. Can you say WOW?!? I had to know what it was! Invite Intrigue , a part of the Blue Nectar collection which is all about mystery and temptation, is a matte shade that is sure to add pop to your lips. My colleague raved “It glides on smooth and is a perfect colour to rock this fall.” I concur ladies!
4. Connecting with family – In times of need there’s nothing as binding or as history making as spending time with family (in laws included). There were old island stories, drinks and jokes shared around the pool as relatives gathered around. Even the puppy had island roots as he was rescued from Eleuthera (Hi Anejo!). It was a good reminder that Family is everything.
5. 10 Day aged Pigeon – Wednesday’s episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman in Cork, Ireland featured 10 day aged pigeon which was cooked in a specialised millennial butter and smoked by handpicked and dried oak, in a small sealed glass container. This resulted in a delicate dish both in appearance and from description. I was blown away with the finesse, time and quality ingredients included in this dish. I admire chefs who put passion and intuition into their food and was impressed with the process. I may not be adventurous enough to taste it but I will admire the view.
What were your favourite moments of the week? We'd love to hear from you in the comment section below!