Can you believe that I never boiled an egg in my adult life? I know, I know! I'm just full of WTFs. I was boiling the eggs on the stove but I had no idea how long it took to cook the eggs. I was actually about to call my mum on the phone and ask her how to know when the egg is done when I noticed that one of the eggs had cracked while boiling. Ergo, the egg was done!
I'm sure no one liked opening that brown paper bag lunch to find an egg salad sandwich, but this version just may make you excited about this traditional lunch again. You still won't be able to eat around others because no one likes the scent of eggs, but just remember to carry mouthwash for afterwards because of the eggs.
I've been trying to convince my mother for months that there are healthier ways to make her potato salad. I told her Greek yogurt is much better and she would hardly notice the difference. So this recipe was my mission to prove to her I'm right.
I've eaten egg salad before, but I never liked eating them. This time I feel better about eating egg salad because it tastes clean. But not that obnoxious clean that leaves you feeling empty.
The joy of this sandwich is you can customise it with whatever condiments, veggies and bread type you want. I used arugula and tomato because that's what I had on hand.
GREEK YOGURT EGG SALAD SANDWICH
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean herb Greek yogurt dip mix
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, cut into 3-4 equal pieces, toasted, for serving
- 2 cups arugula, for serving
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced, for serving
- Place eggs in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 9-12 minutes. Drain and let cool completely before peeling and dicing.
- In a large bowl, roughly mash eggs with Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, seasoning mix, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve sandwiches on baguette with arugula, tomatoes, and egg salad mixture.
Feel free to add anything you want to this sandwich like avocados or cheese.