Spring is here and we hope you already got started on all of that Spring Cleaning. No? Don't worry. We've got the perfect treat to make Spring Cleaning less overwhelming and scary. I love a good mojito but St. Patrick's Day was the first time I had ever seen anyone make one with lemon instead of lime. IT WAS A DISASTER! Like GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK disaster!
But this Spring weather and my Spring break have me feeling inspired and parched! I fiddled with a few ideas before deciding to use some of the Lavender I've been hoarding for the past two years. I'm such a hoarder that even my mint leaves went bad because I was afraid to use it. I used what was left of it but didn't have enough for the photo. I was so satisfied with this drink I had to save some to share with my friends at our Connect Group this week. They loved it! It's smooth and goes down nice. They almost didn't even realise rum was in it (knowing that it came from me was a dead giveaway though).
You can use club soda (which was my original intent until I realised that I didn't have any) or you can make your own classic lemonade (or as we call it here in the Bahamas, Switcha). Here's the recipe for a single serving of Switcha below:
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 cup cold water
- Lemon slices optional
In a 2 or 4 cup measuring cup, stir together the sugar and hot water until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the lemon juice and cold water.
Fill a large glass or pint mason jar with ice and several lemon slices. Fill to the top with lemonade and enjoy!
So if you're looking for the perfect way to unwind this drink will have you relaxing on your imaginary beach. 5 ingredients is all you need to cool off and chill out this Spring!
Lemon Lavender Mojitos
- 5 fresh mint Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- Juice of half a lemon*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Culinary Lavender
- 2 ounces Light Rum
- Club Soda to fill or Classic Lemonade
- In a quart Mason jar or a shaker, combine the mint leaves, sugar, lemon juice and lavender. Muddle completely. Strain into a Collins glass.
- Fill the glass with ice.
- Pour rum over the ice and fill with Club Soda. Garnish with lavender sprig, mint sprig and/or a lemon slice if you like, and serve.
- If you don't want to use Club Soda, make a classic lemonade, add the lavender, mint and rum, shake and serve.
Enjoy these other recipes with lemon in them for your next Spring gathering!