It's a wonderful Meatless Monday, isn't it?! Most of my days are meatless, but the fact that there is an entire day out of the week dedicated to this purpose tickles me a little. Kind of like Thirsty Thursdays! Oooh! And Sundae Sundays? No? Too cliche? It'll catch on, I promise!
Every person I told about the recipe, immediately made a face and told me there's no such thing, but I totally beg to differ! You can definitely have lasagna soup. And if you still can't wrap your mind around it, it's literally a marinara sauce based soup, with lasagna noodles inside. Does that ease your mind a little bit? Good!
Okay, confession time. What really made me try is, is the fact that I can never get lasagna right. My lasagna will taste good, sure, but it's always hard and crunchy on top. I don't know what goes wrong, but boy is it embarrassing. So I've vowed to stop making lasagna. That is, until I found out about this, and I just had to redeem myself! While I may not be a full vegetarian anymore, I do prefer a good amount of food to be meat free. This Lasagna Soup is packed with tender noodles and a big heaping of cheese which if you ask me, it’s what makes that best lasagna. Even better, this is one of those set it and forget it recipes! I mean sure you have to check in on it, but you can use the cooking time to browse the web, Facebook, even give yourself a manicure!
This dish can be served as a side, appetizer or used as the main star. I love to make a really buttery garlic bread to serve with it. Simply dipping the bread into a hot bowl of soup is life goal material.
One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 white onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 24 ounce jar pasta or marinara sauce
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon paprika - optional to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 7 cups vegetable stock/broth
- 13 lasagna noodles
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1½ cups mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 medium mozzarella ball, sliced
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Toss in diced onion and sautee for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in minced garlic and cook for another minute or two.
- Stir in tomato paste and flour then cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add pasta sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, parsley, basil, oregano, paprika, sugar, salt and pepper to pot then stir in vegetable broth.
- Bring to boil then add lasagna noodles (broken into 4ths) to pot and reduce heat back to medium then cook, stirring occasionally (about 20 minutes).
- Once noodles are tender, stir in fresh spinach, heavy cream, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Cut mozzarella ball into small slices and place on top. Garnish with shredded basil. Serve with crusty bread.
I hope you and your family enjoy this heart-warming soup! It's definitely one of my favourites from now on! What's your favourite soup recipe? Tell me about it in the comment section below and check out these other wonderful Meatless Monday soup recipes!