Here at Life by Olivia, we love everything cute and pretty! Like a bright outfit on Monday to start off the week or these amazing donuts that inspired a craving for an entire week before it was satisfied, life in colour is simple so much better! Since donuts are one of our faves, the decision to whip up a half dozen rainbow doughnuts was obvious! You “donut” need to worry about complicated fryers or ingredients, these adorable little guys are really easy and only took 30 minutes to make, including baking time. What better way to say goodbye to summer than with these brightly coloured treats? Let’s do it!
Mini Rainbow Donut Ingredients:
— 1 cup all-purpose flour
— ¼ cup white sugar
— 1 teaspoon baking powder
— 2 tablespoons honey
— ¼ teaspoon salt
— 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon milk
— 1 egg, beaten
— ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
— 3 tablespoons applesauce
— assorted food colouring
Dipping Glaze Ingredients:
— 1 can pre-made frosting
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Stir in milk, eggs, vanilla and applesauce. Beat together until well blended.
4. Divide batter into five bowls. Drop one drop of food colouring in one of the bowls and mix until the batter is completely dyed. Drop different colours of food colouring in the other bowls of batter until you have five bowls of different coloured batter.
5. Pour each coloured batter into a plastic bag. Squeeze the batter into one corner of the bag and snip the corners of the bags using scissors. Pipe each colour of batter into a greased mini donut pan, creating a wheel of colours. A simpler step is to just drop spoonfuls of batter into the pans with a spoon.
6. Bake for 8-11 minutes in the preheated oven, until donuts spring back when touched. Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan.
7. Scoop the frosting in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave it for 30 seconds to melt the frosting. If the frosting isn’t totally melted, keep microwaving it 10 seconds at a time until it’s fully melted. If you are feeling extra colourful, you can add Lucky Charms marshmallows over the glaze. Ta-da! Rainbow donuts!
Still craving more rainbow sugar? Check out this recipe for 8 Irresistible Donuts
What other foods will you rainbow-fy? Share your photos on Instagram with the hashtags #lifebyolivia and #unicornlife or tag @Life_by_Olivia!