If we're reinventing ourselves in 2017, the best place to start is a facial! The weather is usually dry at this time of year, so when you're planning your new healthy regimen, don't neglect your skin.
One of the best ways to soak up oil from the skin is to use oatmeal as a mask. Its absorbent qualities quickly reduce excess sebum production, leaving your complexion smooth, bright, and matte looking. Oatmeal is also very moisturising, so it tricks oily skin into producing less oil. Using an oatmeal face mask will reduce irritation and redness and soothe inflamed, angry looking acne breakouts.
I am in no way a skin expert, but oatmeal’s use in skin care dates back hundreds of years and can be found in most soothing lotions, soaps, and bath mixtures today. This mask in particular can be used twice per week and it’s so gentle, you could even use it daily to help reduce redness and calm a particularly aggressive breakout. I have used it once so far and I loved it! My face had less noticeable bumps after only one use, but only continued use will determine its overall effectiveness. The best part: it only requires three ingredients that you always have in your pantry. Be careful when using this if you do not have excessively oily skin. Your skin will become very dry after using it, but it will also be super soft and smooth.
When making this, make sure you grind the oats to a fine powder. You want it to look like this:
SIMPLE OATMEAL FACE MASK
What You’ll Need–
• 3 TB Powdered (ground) oatmeal
• 2-3 tsp strong green tea
• 1 tsp local raw honey
• 2-3 drops tea tree essential oil or essential oil of your choice that are good for healthy skin like frankincense, rose geranium, lavender, etc. (optional)
• Grind your Rolled Oats (this is important because you want the oatmeal to be as absorbent as possible!)
• Mix in the warm tea
• Add in the honey and mash the ingredients until gooey
• Add your essential oil and stir
• Apply to freshly cleansed skin in an even layer
• Leave on the oatmeal mask for 20 min. or until dry (I accidentally left mine on for 30 while editing photos)
• Rinse with warm water (you can exfoliate while rinsing)
• Pat dry, and apply your favourite oils or natural moisturizer if desired
You’ll love this face mask! It tightens pores and reduces oiliness after the first application. I love this simple oatmeal face mask and you can use it as an exfoliant if you have any left over the following morning. Oatmeal is truly amazing for sensitive skin types. I hope you give it a try!