March Madness is coming up which is basically the Superbowl of College Basketball. It takes a lot of strategy to pick the winning team before eliminations begin. Whether you rely on logic or sheer luck, there's one part of the equation you can't leave out: Your winning snack of course!
Chicken wings are a favourite appetizer of mine. I love the hot and spicy flavour of Buffalo Wings, and often make my own buttery sauce using blue cheese for dipping. On my trip to Miami, I tried the Caribbean Jerk Wings and was inspired by the Jamaican flavour and spiciness. Fueled by inspiration, I made my own version of it, and it is fantastic! Try the recipe below and add as needed.
Sweet Spicy Jerk Wings
- 5 whole wings (cut in halves, with tips removed)
- Black pepper
- Olive oil (1 tsp), for coating
- 2 tsp Honey
- 1tsp Ground allspice
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ Scotch bonnet, minced
- 1tsp Nutmeg
- 75 g Butter
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 3 tsp Hot Sauce
- 2 Lime wedges (optional)
- Salt & Black Pepper to taste
- Season cut chicken wings and toss in oil. Heat cooking oil (vegetable or olive oil) in frying pan. Place wings in the oil and carefully and using tongs. Let fry 3 – 5 minutes on each side. Place wings aside to cool.
- For sauce. Place seasonings and butter in small saucepan and let simmer for 5 – 10 minutes. Toss wings in sauce and enjoy. This combination allows the wings to stay crispy, moist and flavourful.
Make your game day snack a winner with these jerk wings as you cheer on your team! How do you flavour your chicken wings? Do you have a favourite dipping sauce? Share photos of your game day snacks with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #lifebyolivia. Happy eats!