Ever had one of those weeks when you just needed a drink? Like a real stiff one? That’s how I felt, when I made this drink. Don’t get me wrong, I love my job, but one of the great things about adulthood, is coming home after having a rough day and being able to fix yourself a drink. But I’ll be honest, this drink was a complete experiment.
I HATE ginger beer. Once as a kid I thought ginger beer and root beer were the same thing. Boy was I sadly mistaken! It was the nastiest thing I ever had! I hate ginger beer, but that didn't stop me from trying it one more time as an adult to see if those feelings had changed. After all, you guys may like ginger beer and this might be the kind of recipe you've been waiting on. So I sucked it up and tried it one more time. And you know what I found out?
I discovered that I still hate ginger beer. It was bitter and sour, which may be the type of drink you like, but not me. I like things sweet and this was just not cutting it. But there is a way to improve the taste if you're just like me and hate ginger beer. ADD SUGAR! I don't know how I forgot to add the sugar the first time. Just as I was about to throw it down the drain, I saw the sugar dish and was instantly inspired.
If you’re having a rough day or even a rough week, call over a couple of girlfriends and enjoy a few drinks. This cocktail is so simple and sooo delicious, it’s ready in 5 minutes or less. Just salt your rim, mix your juices, sweetener and rum and top off with ginger beer. So easy and so fresh!
GINGER BEER HIGHBALL COCKTAILS
- 1/4 cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 1 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup or white sugar
- 1/4 cup white rum
- 1/4 cup ginger beer
- salt for the rim
- grapefruit/ lime slices for garnishing
- Spread some kosher salt on a plate. Rub a grapefruit wedge around the rims of your glass and then dip them onto the salted plate.
- Add the grapefruit juice, lime juice, and agave to the glass and stir until mixed well. Stir in the rum and then top off with ginger beer. Add a slice of grapefruit or lime if desired and enjoy.