Start your morning with these hearty orange spiced waffles. A perfect breakfast for the cooler mornings of fall. Feel free to add your favourite breakfast sides like turkey bacon, scrambled eggs or a side of fruit. Maybe, orange?Read More
Every now and then I need a change of scenery with my meals. I recently gave up rice, and while I fell off the wagon a few times, (I really don’t care for rice, but I wasn't about to starve) I am determined to eat better as much as possible. After all, with my vacation coming up in two weeks, my six pack won’t grow itself (but it would be so cool if it would).
So this morning, I made this awesome sandwich for lunch in less than thirty minutes. I even had time to throw in some kale chips to go along with it, which I’m sure is a better alternative to fries. I don’t have a Panini maker, so I used my waffle iron, which gives it the same effect more or less, so don’t feel as if you can’t make this sandwich if you lack the equipment. I made so many substitutions but included the original recipe from Iowa Girl Eats for you.
Apple Orchard Panini
· Italian bread or Ciabatta buns (I used regular bread)
· Extra virgin olive oil
· Apple butter (I used peanut butter)
· Roasted deli turkey
· Granny Smith apples, thinly sliced
· Brie cheese, sliced (I used white cheddar)
1. Preheat panini maker to medium-high (I used my waffle iron; gives you the same effect more or less). Brush one side of 2 slices of bread with extra virgin olive oil. Turn slices over then spread apple butter generously on both slices. Layer on turkey, apple slices, and Brie cheese then place other side of bread on top. Place in panini maker (alternatively, cook the sandwich in a skillet on the stove-top) until golden brown and crispy. Allow to rest for 2 minutes then slice with a serrated knife. I served mine with kale chips that I made in the microwave, which is super easy to make. Simple drizzle handfuls of kale leaves with olive oil and salt on a plate so that they're not overlapping, and microwave on high for 2 1/2 minutes so it's nice and crunchy!
How do you like to enjoy your deli sandwiches? What are your must have ingredients? Share with us in the comment section below!