For awhile I've wanted to start Muffin Mondays here on the blog. Not only is it a catchy title, but every time I hear the word muffin, I think back to that episode of Fairly Odd parents called Abra-catastrophe. Don't judge me, that was a very funny episode!
Anyways, I love to bake, and I like setting challenges for myself in the kitchen; so Muffin Mondays and Thirsty Thursdays are fun ways for me to get creative. I'm thinking about making this a monthly thing.
This muffin idea was inspired by a need to make something for breakfast yesterday before going to church. I finally had a Sunday off from volunteering in church so I used that time to try a new recipe. When you're mixing this and see that there is not flour in the recipe, you may think there's no way those oats can absorb all of that liquid but it does! Pair these muffins with some scrambled eggs, turkey bacon or sausage and a cup of tea or coffee and you're good to go! But if you don't have the time to sit down and eat a full meal, these are great on the go!
TO-GO BAKED OATMEAL MUFFINS RECIPE
· 2 eggs
· ¼ cup canola oil
· 1 cup packed brown sugar
· ½ cup applesauce
· 1½ cups lactose free milk (or whatever milk you like)
· 2 tsp. vanilla extract
· ½ tsp. salt
· 1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
· 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats
· 2 tsp. baking powder
· Optional: your favourite toppings (fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper or paper/foil muffin liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and brown sugar until sugar is dissolved. Add the applesauce, milk, vanilla, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk until well combined. Stir in the oats and baking powder.
3. Fill the muffin tin with ¼ cup of the oat mixture in each muffin cup. Add your favourite toppings. Push the toppings down into the oat mixture with a spoon.
4. Bake for 30 minutes. Let them cool for 5 minutes before eating. Store in an airtight container or freeze in a zip top storage bag.
Don't skip the muffin liners in this recipe
Serving size: 1 plain oat muffin Calories: 170 Fat: 5.3 Saturated fat: 0.7 Carbohydrates: 28.2Fiber: 1.9 Protein: 3.5
For more amazing muffin and breakfasts recipes, check out these recipes below.
Is there another muffin recipe you want to see me try for next month's Muffin Mondays? Let me know in the comment section below!