I've always been the kind of gal that if I get invited to a party, the first thing I ask is, "Will there be rum?" That's not to say that alcohol is the only reason I'll come to your party, but it sure makes mingling with a bunch of strangers a lot more bearable. And with Halloween coming up in just a few days, whether it's getting into that crazy costume, or painting the town black and orange, you're going to need a little liquid courage!
I had a lot of fun when I whipped up this little number. If it adds to the illusion you can imagine me stirring my cauldron and whispering incantations as I mixed it. This is one of those great recipes that you can make with only three ingredients you may already have around the house (if you drink a lot, not calling you an alcoholic, we don't judge here), and if not any brand will do. I used my Cruzan Aged Dark Rum that I bought when I went to St. Croix and Jacquin Whipped Cream Vodka because it was on sale. Before getting the final product, I played around with different spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to give it a sugar and spice effect but it didn't do anything for me, so this drink is really only those who like it sweet. Don't worry tart lovers, I've got something coming for you too!
You're probably wondering why I called it the Trick or Treat Cocktail. I am a HUGE fan of what we call sneaker drinks. They taste innocent at first, but in reality you only have about 10 minutes to get somewhere safe after consuming it. I've tricked a lot of friends this way when I made drinks for them in the past (sorry, not sorry). It's so fun(ny) to watch someone go from, "Oh that's nice" to "PARTY OVER HEREEEEEEEEEEEE!" So what's it going to be? Trick or Treat?
TRICK OR TREAT HALLOWEEN COCKTAIL
- 1 part Cruzan Aged Dark Rum
- 1 part Jaquin Whipped Cream Vodka
- 1 part Orange Pineapple Juice
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 2-4 drops orange food colouring
- Combine sugar and food colouring in a plate. If you don't have orange, combine red and yellow.
- After gliding an orange (or lime) slice around the rim of your martini glass, drip it in the sugar until fully covered.
- In a martini shaker filled with ice (about 3-4 cubes), add vodka, dark rum, lemon juice and the orange pineapple juice.
- Shake and pour into martini glass. Add an orange slice to the rim and serve.
Whether you prefer to trick or treat, a signature cocktail is a must for any spook-tacular event.