With school re-opening mornings are going to be hectic! And nights are going to be filled with homework and bedtime routines. So you may not always have time to prepare something healthy for yourself and your family. But fear not. Don't be turned away by how long it takes to cook brown rice. And if you don't have taco seasoning for the ground turkey, don't fear. This meal can be prepared the night before or while at work in a slow cooker. It can also be made with seasonings and spices you already have in your pantry. I used mixed veg because I was way too lazy to open the can of corn, but feel free to use whatever you have on hand. (You can even add cheese if you want).
Not only are these bowls loaded with fresh veggies, but they are actually filling! Does anyone else get super annoyed when you get hungry an hour after lunch? I DO.
These turkey taco lunch bowls are so versatile! You can mix them up in so many ways:
- a couple tablespoons of shredded cheese
- swap the turkey for black beans (you may want to cook them up in some taco seasoning for the added flavor it gives or your favourite flavour packet)
- add some yogurt or sour cream
- add crunchy cabbage, shredded carrots, or bell peppers. Clean out your fridge!
- Cook brown rice according to package directions, adding the lime zest and salt to the cooking water. But instead of water, cook the brown rice in your chicken stock with up to 1/2 cup water.
- Grease skillet with olive oil. Cook turkey over medium heat, tossing in the seasonings and breaking it up as you cook. Cook for 10 or so minutes, until cooked through.
- Assemble your rice and ground turkey in your lunch containers with your veggies of choice, allow to cool, then store in the fridge for lunch the next day.
- ¾ cup uncooked brown rice
- ⅛ tsp salt
- zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¾ lb lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic and pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 3 tbsp ketchup
Alrighty. That’s it for today! Happy prepping!